The original Imperial Good Companion was introduced in 1932 and became a best seller almost immediately, possibly helped by being named after the J.B. Priestley play 'The Good Companions' - with the author's full permission!
An excellent, sturdy little typewriter, it continued in production - almost unchanged - right through until 1957.
This 1940 version is identical to the pre-war machine, the only real difference being the crackle-finish black paint, first seen in this year and subsequently applied to all Imperial typewriters until the mid-1950's.
The machine has a 44-character keyboard, single and double line-spacing, and a fold-up paper rest.
A popular vintage typewriter in good condition, with many more years of faithful service ahead of it !